Monday, August 20, 2007

Pins and Needles

Thought it was about time I started to look for a job.

But before that I need new office attire. For I may be called upon instantaneously for interviews as soon as I hit the "send" button of my email pertaining to my resume to the prospective employer and hence didn't have any time in between for the all important prep. I wasn't looking forward to this process. Clothes in Taiwan are not catered for, let's say, normal-figured girls.

I am not going to say I'm skinny, but it would take a bribe or an inner bitch for anyone to call me fat. Yet, in Taiwan I am reduced (ahem) to purchasing sizes L or even the dreaded XL. Forget about the "one size fits all" claim many trendy stores seem to be shouting around here. To that I reply, "My arse." (metaphorically and literally).

But as the saying goes, every cloud has a silver lining. In this "little tiger of the east" dwells a fiesty economy that feeds an enslaved seamstress. Meaning every store offers a while-u-wait hemming service, absolutely free of charge. So despite the horror of fitting into the largest pants they have, fished out from the back of the store room, they will at least compensate for your pain by tailoring them to your height in a jiffy.

Well that's a relief, until you realise that you're not only fat, but short too.

No comments: