Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Day 23 - Slow Burn

Hey, it's around 1am in Belgrade right now. This will be my third night here when I only intended to stay one night. The hostel I'm staying at is great. It's new and clean, and the people here I've met have been some lovely people. I'm so comfortable here that it's been easy to stay on. This journey has been an incredible one. The places I've seen, the people I've met, the things I've done. For anyone who hasn't travelled, perhaps you already know the secret to life so you didn't need to leave home. But for me, it's proved to be an invaluable experience. Am I changed as a person? I'm not sure about that. But it's definitely rounded me off. It's almost the end and it's difficult to imagine a return to "normality". I have lived a completely different life for the past few weeks. I am still excited about Toronto but it will create a different set of rules and expectations once I get there. To have the freedom that I have is an incredible gift and to think that POLITICS can limit people's lives like some of the people I've met on my travels is unthinkable in our Western world. I only hope that things change, that we continue to fight those small-minded people and see that we are all as one. World conflicts will not end overnight, it may not even end in some parts of the globe. What can we do? I don't know. Let's just continue the build our relationships with those around us and never forget those who can't enjoy the freedom that we enjoy. Think about the Geneva Convention, think about the right of every human being to enjoy the simple things in life. Break down the barriers. Cast aside your doubts. Open your hearts and minds. See the world. See the person behind the stereotypes and give up your prejudices. What is the point of fighting? Be happy. Be thankful. Be everything and anything you want to be. Smile. Just smile.

3 comments:

Corrinne said...

are u still on track to be back here on the 26th? or was it 29th?
I am still flying out on 1st July

Anonymous said...

Ah the eternal quest for the meaning of life. Let us know when you find it :-)

The Luddite said...

Ahhh the early morning rant. Surprisingly coherent if I do say so myself.