Wednesday, July 18, 2007

My Taiwan (So Far)

Taiwan was once known as "Formosa Island", after the Portuguese who in 1544 named it "Ilha Formosa", which means "Beautiful Island."

To see the beauty of Taiwan you really must escape the towns and head for the hills. As Taiwan is a tropical climed country the hills are quite green and lush. Not to mention extremely humid at this time of year.


L and R: Streets in Taichung day and night. There are worse examples of neons which I will capture for you.
L: Mountain ranges 30 mins drive from my parent's place; R: Lounges facing mountain views at a restaurant 55 mins from my parent's place.
L: Views towards Taichung at dusk; R: On motorway - see the pale mountain ranges at bottom and layered clouds above.

There are Buddhist temples aplenty in Taiwan, ranging from minature single-god temples to multi-layered mansions honouring numerous. The one I visited (see below) had a giant Buddha statue in its forecourt.
L: Temple; R: Second floor interior honoring five gods. The third floor is dedicated to Buddha.
L: "Milefuo" - statue of the very happy monk who brings good luck and happiness; R; Giant Buddha sitting on a giant lotus flower.

And you thought I'd forget? No, here are some ever important food shots for you.
L: Coffee and cake at mountain restaurant; R: A cheap and cheerful chicken lunchbox for $70 NTD = $2.50 AUS = $2.00 CDN = 1.10 pound sterling. Talk about affordability.
L: A VERY popular snack in Taiwan - Smelly Tofu, so named because it smells like BO, or feet. But let me assure you it is VERY VERY good; R: Thai fare at Taichung's premier hotel, Hotel One on the 28th floor.

Random pics chosen for their verticality:
L: Lunch July 18th 2007; R: Pegoda.

L: My Dad in the trees; R: Lunch July 1st 2007.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I smell a travel writer. Verticallity? Flamin' brilliant!

Corrinne said...

T- I want the fried tofu!

Anonymous said...

Smells like feet? There's no way I could put that in my mouth, no matter how tasty it is . . . .

The Luddite said...

trust me clare, you will eat it and love it. i heard someone opened a smelly tofu store in melbourne but the neighbours complained about the smell that they had to shut down. damn fools!