Monday, April 14, 2008

God is a DJ

One man brought love back into my life for a few brief hours on Sunday night. He left at 4 in the morning. He's name was... Tiesto.

(cue female vocal, cut to thumping bass then let the lazer show begin)


Tiesto is the world's number #1 DJ and there is no disputing that fact. Queuing up in the line on Sunday night with thousands of other anticipating fans was nerve-wrecking for me. I would've pre-bought tickets if I wasn't so lazy to buy them online. It was a sold-out show and who knew how many tickets they were holding at the venue for last minute bandwagon-jumpers-on. In the queue with roughly 1000 punters, I was thoroughly surprised that within 30 mins I had three tickets in my hot, shaking, little hands. Perhaps that's Asian efficiency for you.

Returning later in the night with my two work buds, I was buzzing with adrenalin. The crowds were filing into the warehouse space, in a part of town not known for anything fun or even lively. The Nangang area traditionally had many cemetaries I've heard, so that was probably why there are many temples and other semi-spiritual alters I see all around, tucked between old residential buildings, appearing haphazardly, repeatedly. Spooky to walk around the empty streets at night to say the least, eeriely incandescent in red and gold (colours of good luck) and incense filled.



L: Warehouse, with light projection on wall. M: Classic DJ pose. R: We love Tiesto.

As we filed up the stairs into the thumping warehouse like disciples being called to prayer, my heart was pounding. We pushed through the crowd to get closer and closer to the front where the DJ stood on his raised platform like a priest at his pulpit and... ok, we've all heard the religious analogy before... but I cannot put it to you how much this experience lifted and warmed me. I felt love in that warehouse that night. From him, to me. And from me, to the world.

It was pure, pure, joy.
And I was NOT intoxicated in ANY way.


L: The 8000 people crowd. R: Tiesto waves goodbye after his awesome set.

How's that aye? I've impressed at myself that I was able last till 4am without a lick of spirits or a whiff of anything else. Aha! I am still young aren't I?

The Anticipation


The Finale

No comments: