Thursday, November 23, 2006

Around the World in 80 Dates

I haven't done a book review on this blog before and I'm not likely to start a barrage of them, but I have to say this particular book has given me more laugh-out-loud moments than any man.

This is a true story. Jennifer Cox was tired of being single so she sought out her friends across the globe and asked them to set her up on dates with eligiable bachelors according to her Soul Mate Description. She then took the next 6 months to travel the world to meet her 80 dates.

SINGLE LADIES: IS HER LIFE JUST TO DIE FOR???

And the cherry on top of this delicious adventure is that she does find her soul mate (insert collective sigh here). I promise I have not revealed anything that would take away from the impact of her words and stories; her observations, follies and that typically self-depricating humour that the English do so well makes this a real page-turner and by the end, I was a gushing mess, elated by inspiration.
Having tried speed dating in London and online dating in Toronto, I don't know what else I'll try when I'm in Taiwan next year and back home in Oz the year after. Perhaps you can help?

4 comments:

Corrinne said...

Have you posted the book to me yet darling?

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I saw an interview with this woman on an American breakfast program (NBC Today Show?) and she was talking about this book but she hadn't done all the dates yet. She had gone on about 10-20 dates and had still a lot more to go but she was quite funny and engaging talking about her experiences. I'll check out the book next time I'm at the book store.

The Luddite said...

I'm posting my copy of the book to Corin in Melbourne first, then she is onpassing it to our other girlfriends. Clare if you can wait for it I'll add you to the mailing list? hehe. That book is going to travel the world.

The Luddite said...

Oh wow I just checked out her website and you get to see photos of her dates:

www.aroundtheworldin80dates.co.uk