Sunday, December 02, 2007

Jazz and Blues

I went to a jazz club tonight.

Surprisingly, it was probably the best jazz club I have ever been to in my life. Kudos to Taipei. Has anyone ever heard of a song called Wild Women Don't Have the Blues by Ida Cox? Written in 1924 (that's right, 1924), the lyrics will strike at the heart of any woman worth her salt today. Brings to my mind Erykah Badu's Tyrone, from her 1997 album Live. Ida did it in 1924.

Wild Women Don't Get the Blues
I hear these women raving 'bout their monkey men
About their trifling husbands
and their no good friends
These poor women sit around all day and moan
Wondering why their wandering papa's don't come home
But wild women don't worry, wild women don't have no blues
Now when you've got a man, don't never be on the square
'Cause if you do he'll have a woman everywhere
I never was known to treat no one man right
I keep 'em working hard both day and night
'Cause wild women don't worry, wild women don't have their blues
I've got a disposition and a way of my own
When my man starts kicking I let him find another home
I get full of good liquor, walk the streets all night
Go home and put my man out if he don't act right
Wild women don't worry, wild women don't have their blues
You never get nothing by being an angel child
You better change your ways and get real wild
I wanna tell you something, I wouldn't tell you a lie
Wild women are the only kind that really get by
'Cause wild women don't worry, wild women don't have their blues

Tyrone
[Erykah] "Lets See How Ya'll Groove to this"
"Alright"
I'm gettin' tired of your shit
You don't never buy me nothin
'See Everytime you come around
You got to bring Jim, James, Paul, & Tyrone
See why can't we be by ourselves, sometimes
See I've been having this on my mind
For a long timeI just want it to be
You and me
Like it used to be, Baby
But ya don't know how to act
So matter of fact
[Chorus] I think ya better call Tyrone (Call Him)
And Tell him come on, Help you get your Shit (Come On, Come on)
You need to Call Tyrone (Call Him)
And tell him I said come on
Now everytime I ask you for a little cash
You say no and turn right around and ask me for some ass
Oh, Well hold up listen partna
I ain't no cheap thrill
Cause Miss Badu is always comin' for real
And you know the deal
Everytime we go somewhereI gotta reach down in my purse
To pay your way and your homeboys way
And sometimes your cousin's way
They don't never have to pay
Don't have no cars
Hang around in bars
Try to hang around with stars
Like Badu
I'm gon' tell you the truth
Show and proveor get the boot
I think ya better, (Erykah Badu-He, he he) (Call Him)
And tell him come on
Help you get your shit
You need to call Tyrone (Call Him)
[Erykah Badu] "Hold On"
But ya can't use my phone

No comments: