Sunday, September 23, 2007

Big Day Out

I'm spending a week with my brother and his girlfriend in Taipei. It's the long weekend, cause it's 中秋節, or Middle Autumn Festival coming up on Tuesday. The cool, or rather, kind of odd thing they do here in Taiwan is that Monday is turned into a public holiday so you get four days off in a row, but then you have to make it up on Saturday. You make your own mind up.


Clockwise from top left: Pepper Cake; different kinds of deep fried mushrooms; Fort San Domingo; my bro with icecream tower.

We went to 淡水 (Tamshui) for lunch, which consisted of some famous wontons, traditional pepper cakes filled with pork and green onions, fried 'shrooms and finished with a double-flavour soft-serve icecream cone that was 30cm tall. We shared that last item.

The reason we went to Tamshui was because they were taking me horse riding at a stables near by! It was a proper lesson, not lame like being lead on the horse by a person on foot. The lesson lasted for 40 mins. At the end of the lesson I had to swing off the horse to disembark, or whatever the word is. Problem was, I had used my arms too much during the ride, and my biceps were so strained that they almost failed to support my weight as I pushed off the horse. Almost, but not entirely. It was when I attempted to undo my helmet and found I couldn't bend my arms up to reach the buckle under my chin that I realised how bad my arms were. Think of that classroom science experiment where you had to push your arms as hard as you can against the sides of a doorway for a few minutes, then step away to see your arms rise voluntarily to the sky. It was that effect on my arms then, 'cept it was going the opposite direction. I wondered how I was going to eat dinner tonight if I couldn't bend my arms to put food in my mouth.

On our way home we stopped off at 紅毛城 (Fort San Domingo). Here's a little history. In 1629 the Spaniads built the Fort. In 1642 the Dutch kicked the Spaniads out. The Fort is now known in Chinese as the Fort of the Red Hair, describing of the appearance of the Dutch occupiers. In 1867 the English leases it for 99 years from China and builds a British Consulate next to the Fort. But she hands it back in 1972 when England broke diplomatic ties with the Republic of China (different from the People's Republic of China. It's fascinating history, I suggest you look into this dear readers).

L: My bro and his GF devouring pepper cakes; R: The three amigos.


L: British Consulate at Fort San Domingo; R: View of shore opposite.


L: My new man in Taiwan; R: Dusk on way home.

By the time we reached home it was dinner time, and we made a grocery stop for BBQ supplies. It has become somewhat of a tradition now to BBQ around Middle Autumn Day and admire the beauty of the moon, as it's usually full moon the day of the Middle Autumn Festival.

In Taiwan you don't need no fancy schmancy BBQ grill powering on 6 gas cylinders, no big backyards size of football fields or city parks. In Taiwan all you need is your front door step, sometimes shop front, or in our case, the balcony for space is a premium here. If it's raining like it was for us, just put up two or three umbrellas and hook 'em to the railing. But perhaps consider having an extra umbrella on hand, for one of our umbrellas did decide to emancipate itself from BBQing duties and took flight from our 15th floor balcony to go dancing in the night. Foodwise we ate pork, chicken wings, fish, capsicum, mushrooms, clams, mince fish cakes, bamboo shoot and duck heart skewers. Taiwanese BBQs rock.


L: Check out our ultra small balcony BBQ action; R: Precautions against the rain.

L and R: Food.
L: More food; R: Taiwanese/ROC flag. It's not allowed to be flown in international arenas such as the Olympics. Go read up on this people!

Body sore but belly full. A good night's sleep beckons.

No comments: