Monday, March 24, 2008

Surrealism

Sitting at home alone with my laptop. Home that's newly moved into. Single occupancy. It's a whole new world. The newly installed internet connection and digital tv are god-sends... Internet connection to keep me in touch with the outside world but even more astonishingly I can watch live AFL coverage and ABC News on the Australian Network channel. It's like I'm back home. Honest. Then I go to work and I'm looking out for a bus with a Chinese name on it instead of a number, and I grab breakfast of soy milk and congee from a breakfast stand near work... During the entire day I am speaking rapidly in Mandarin to my Taiwanese colleagues, but then I turn around and am repeating everything again to our North American colleagues in English. When I converse with them, I return to Toronto... I go home, watch a Taiwanese news broadcast and it's irritatingly obvious I'm not anywhere in North America but staunchly Taiwan... switch over and suddenly I'm back in Australia again, or the UK, if I turn to BBC...

No comments: