Monday, June 09, 2008

Expanding Horizons

Even though travelling is a great way of expanding your horizons, I dare say it's also how much you are capable of opening yourself to the limitless horizons. I mean, a person who takes the 3 day package tour of Western Europe isn't going to get very much out of that experience. How much off the beaten track do we have to go to have an worthwhile experience?

When I did my 5 week backpacking trip, I thought I had an incredible experience. I walked away feeling like I've witnessed the better part of human nature, that humanity does have a chance to survive the violence, cruelty and ignorance usually shown on that square little box in the living room at home with a window on it. That's a great lesson to learn and generally faith is restored in the good of the world, because we are generally far more affiliated with cynicism. But 5 weeks is only 5 weeks. There was so much more I could've done with those 5 weeks. I know I didn't live each day of those 5 weeks like it was my last. Which by the way, may I ask, is really good advice to give someone? Cause if you truly lived each day like it was your last, wouldn't you end up living irresponsibly and thereby possibly cutting short of your actual existence, or face consequences that exist because there was still always the existence of another day to reap the consequences?

I digress. I suppose to truly expand your horizons, you must not only allow yourself to be open to it but also actively seek it. And that's an important ingredient, to not be lazy and sit around the house like I do on weekends, when in fact I should be going out there finding stuff out. Wikipedia is great for the armchair horizon-expander. But nothing will be of greater reward than doing it yourself. How is it that we often get carried under by that current called apathy? What is it that sparks the self into action? Why is a day on the couch watching reruns more enjoyable than say, hiking?

Anybody with any clue or suggestion most welcomed to respond.

No comments: