Friday, April 13, 2007

Break A Plate Or Two

Since living in Toronto, I've pretty much stuck to central Toronto, which is generally agreed to be bordered by Bloor Street to the north, Lake Ontario to the south, Bathurst Street to the west and Jarvis Street to the east. This fact amuses most Torontonians I've told. See the area I refer to (arrow shows where I live, which is in top left quandrant of central Toronto).

East side has a connotation here that it isn't the pretty part of town, nor the right side of the track. But a little further beyond the neighbourhoods becomes vibrant and very livable. One of such note is the Danforth. The Danforth has a large Greek community so it's also called Greektown. You know you'll get good Greek food here. I came for the Saganaki.

Saganaki is basically flaming cheese. A piece of cheese is put onto a hot plate, alcohol (vodka I think) is poured over then the whole thing is set alight, right by your table. Watch your eyebrows! I've never had saganaki before so Kathy and Laywah from work decided to take me for my first taste and first foray beyond Jarvis.

There are numerous restaurants, bars and clubs along the Danforth. During summer the "Taste of the Danforth" food fair attracts thousands for the various delectable outdoor food stalls that line the street. This reminds me of the Manly Food and Wine Festival we used to go to back home.

Saganaki is hot and melted so it's lovely on bread. We also had some grilled mushrooms and deep fried eggplant and zucchini. All tasty snacks to have after work. We strolled a little up and down the Danforth happy that I've push my boundaries just a little further today.



Clockwise from top left: Grilled mushrooms; Kathy;Eggplant and zucchinis; Laywah.

No comments: