Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Seasons

"I tend to have less concern about happiness than I have with contentment. And a contentment is having done all those things you set out to do. But, of course, things are gonna go wrong, and if they didn't, what sort of a life would that be? Sadness is a season and it will pass, but so is happiness."

Bryce Courtenay, http://www.abc.net.au/talkingheads/txt/s1630548.htm

I've been thinking lately about what makes me happy in life, and what I need to do to to achieve it. But this quote from a seminal writer in my growing up which takes and expands on a quote from his earliest book has made me less anxious about "finding happiness". Contentment with one's life, whether it's turned out as one expected, is the key to being stress-free and guilt-free about what you have or haven't achieved.

Situations and circumstances shift our life goals often, so why do we seem surprised each time they shift? I guess as humans we do like some degree of stability, and when what we aim toward suddenly shift, move further away or disappear completely we feel fazed and disorientated. Perhaps Bryce is saying that this is ok, that as long as you tried to get there, then you know your life has been worthwhile.

Happiness can be fleeting, but knowing you've strived for it should give you contentment forever.

No comments: