Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Weekend 4 - A Nibble of the Big Apple


Clockwise from top left: NY sirloin steak sandwich; Guggenheim Museum; NW view from the Empire State Building; exhibit at the Guggenheim; Tom's Restaurant, the diner from Seinfeld; breakfast at Tom's; Time Square; Statue of Liberty; view of Central Park from the Empire State Building.

Clockwise from top left: Empire State Building foyer; view of Lower Manhattan from the Empire State Building; Steve and the Statue of Liberty; Chrysler Building; 7th Avenue street fair; Statue of Liberty; me on street corner; Guggenheim Museum; me eating.

Manhattan, the heart of New York. Yellow cabs, 5th Aveue, hot dog vendors. I heart New York memorabillia of all descriptions. It's a city that only New Yorkers know. As a weekend tourist, you only get a hint of the good life.

I see the similarities and differences between New York and London. I also see the similarities between New York and Toronto believe it or not. It's a North American thang. Despite being known for being brash, New York has also a (disingenously?) sweet demeanour. London does not. Toronto has.

I could live in New York I think. It's full of people from everywhere. But probably all have been Americanised. It is after all, the hardest country to get into. You're gonna really want to be here, to be here. So even if it's more liberal than middle America, it's still got blinkers on to a certain degree.

New York bigs itself up. In movies and on TV. Makes itself known as the place to be, a source of energy and life. They do a good job of it cause I'm still drawn to that image. Three days in New York did not satiate my curiosity, but I can live with it. Maybe I'll visit her again one day. One day, far far away.

No comments: