Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Good On 'Ya

It's great being an Australian, and being an Australian overseas gives you an even greater sense of pride and identity as you hold onto what is familiar and champion for it in the great big world that at times seem ready to lose sight of you. So when I saw an ad on a local website for "Volunteers for Australian Film Festival Weekend" I jumped at the chance to rejoin my herd, for I have missed that distinct Australian twang.

OzFlix was a three day film event and I helped with Front of House duties. Whilst I was the only Aussie volunteer (organisers were obviously Australian) it was nice to see a smattering of Aussies out of the woodworks and in the audience. Additionally the free Darrell Lea licorice on offer was a nice treat to have, eventhough I overdosed a little...

Here's your quick guide to my selected film reviews:

Film: Opal Dreams

Synopsis: Kids with imaginary friends
Review: Quirky yet belivable.

Film: 2:37
Synopsis: Teenage suicide
Review: Depressing and self-important.

Short Film: My Brother Vinnie
Synopsis: Water Rats actor shows off his special brother
Review: Heartwarming publicity stunt.


Short Film: Talkabout Walkabout
Synopsis: Mysterious and dream-like perspective dissemination

Review: Like you went on a Walkabout, an existential experience.

Film: Boytown
Synopsis: Over the hill boy band comes back
Review: Laugh out loud dance moves.


Some well known Aussie comedians star in this little beauty.

SUPPORT THE AUSTRALIAN FILM INDUSTRY! Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Opal Dreams sounds like the short film that won Tropfest this year - an animated short about a kid with an imaginary friend. Btw - the girl who is working on the play that Ravi & I have written (for stage in September this year) submitted a short film for Tropfest & it came 3rd :)