Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Day 1 - Here We Go

Flying out of grey and raining London was not the hardest thing to do in the world. Especially when I end up in a place like Zagreb! Arrived Monday in hot soup, I'm sure it was up to high 20s or even low 30s. Went straight to my hostel which was a little tram ride way away and discovered it was next door to Kraš Chocolate Factory! Imagine the smell of chocolate in the air. Mmmm...

First thing I did, the obligatory post card to mum and dad. Once that was out of the way it was time to look around. Not a huge city, Zagreb has a population of 800,000. Plus outskirts of city population goes up to 1.1 million. Lovely views from the top of the hill, which was where Zagreb grew from. At midday each day a cannon goes off from the old watch tower. It was near this watch tower that I found a nice tree lined path I dubbed "lovers lane". On the hill it was breezy, perfect spot for couples to sit and cuddle in the shade of the coolibah tree (not really coolibah, just my interpretation). So I thought it would be nice for me to have a sit as well, and spotted some steps leading a little down the hill. Quiet secluded spot for me to relax a bit. As I took a few steps and turn a corner, I find a couple had thought the same thing as the girl was just about to go down on her guy. It was a Monday for crying out loud, why aren't these people at work or school? Perhaps it was the heat of the afternoon...

Today was a very chilled out day, I've done nothing cept browse the shops, long lunch on the balcony of the hostel, a quick trip to the Baroque cemetary and finish with a lovely pasta meal for dinner. I am in holiday mode and loving it.

Stay in London...
or go to Zagreb?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you bump into my buddy Marco, please say hi. Ask him why he doesn't write anymore. He doesn't call or send flowers either :-(

The Luddite said...

Is he lost on lover's lane? i didnt want to look that closely.

Anonymous said...

Your day reminds me of that movie "Before Sunrise." I love that movie!

The Luddite said...

Before Sunrise is one of my fave films! Their story is the basis of my trip - I will be taking the train from Budapest to Vienna, the same ride they took :)

Anonymous said...

Before sunrise. Is that the movie with the cute french chick?