Thursday, June 01, 2006

Day 10 - How Sweet It Is

Hey kids, how we doin? I'm doing well. In fact I'm in the old town of Zadar, Croatia and they've got marble pavements in the whole town. Think I'm doing well, pretty well.

Was at Plitvice National Park earlier today, it's UNESCO world heritage listed. You can understand why when you go. It's pristine. You can almost pretend your plane crashed onto this paradise, one only polar bears inhabit... But seriously it's gorgeous, the waterfalls, the plentiful fish and endless bird calls.

It was a great day but I wanted to leave by 2pm as it was a two hour journey back to Zadar. Did the bus come? No. Did the next one come? No. I waited for two hrs and still no bus and I was getting really cold because the spring weather is still unsettled so I had to commit the cardinal sin for lone female travellers, I hitched. The man who stopped couldn't speak english 'cept for football, Mark Viduka (apparently he was born in Croatia) and kangaroo. My Croatian was worse. Still the ride was greatly appreciated and we got along famously (hello Jacob, good wishes to you, your wife and two kids). I must admit I've had good luck getting into cars with strangers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez, you are definitely a risk taker. I guess hitching is fairly common in Europe. Still....

FYI - About half the Australian soccer team are from a Croatian background. The Croatian press often refers to the Australian team and Croatia 2.

Anonymous said...

Hitching? Jeez, Tina! Have you learnt nothing from B-grade horror movies??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.