Monday, June 12, 2006

Day 21 - Viva la Belgrade

Rolling into the city in a beaten up bus from the 60s where the windows were permanently condensed meant I had no idea what the city looked like until I got off. Was very nice to be met by the guy that runs the hostel, and after the less than glamourous one I stayed at in Sarajevo I was a bit sceptical about the one here. What a difference. Star Hostel only opened a month ago and it's so nice and new and clean I want to stay here forever. The guy that runs the place is pretty cool and easy going, and offered us burek (Eastern Europe's version of fast food) that his mum made :)

My travel buddy I met in Sarajevo and I were starving. Going out for food we thought we were going to have some local chow, but what drew us was the delicious smell that eminated from a Japanese restaurant down the road. Oh my god the food was fantastic! I haven't had Japanese food for the longest time and to sit there and eat authentic Japanese food (the owner was Japanese) it was like we were in heaven. So random, eating Japanese food in Belgrade of all places. It costed like 550DIN for my udon, but we hadn't worked out what the exchange rate was. The hostel guy told us it was around 5 euros. 5 euros?? We ate like kings for 5 euros! God bless the pound sterling...

No comments: