Monday, June 05, 2006

Day 11 - Split

Split, that's the idea when you get there. I hated Split. Apologies to the people that live there, apologies to the people that've been there and loved it. I hate Split.

Got there in the afternoon and it was pouring rain. Once you get off the bus the women are pushing into your face about rooms. Walked to the house and find my room is like a prison cell with one small window. Walked into Old Town and find it's over run with tourists. I felt the local people didn't like us even though they depended on the tourist trade. Decided to go to the top of the hill for some peace and quiet and apparently nice look out. Started off ok, but the path was never ending with no further signs of where you were. I had walked for almost a bloody hour before spying a shed type building a little further with a couple of benches so I thought I must be near the end. Then some old dude peers from behind the shed, standing very vlose to the shed. My first thought was, "What the hell is he doing here by himself looking suspicous?" I got thinking and paranoid and turned straight back. I was really pissed off he bothered me that much. As soon as I walked back into town I bought my ferry ticket out of there. Unfortunatly it wasn't to depart until the day after next. I hate Split.

The one thing that salvaged Split for me was at dinner. Not the food or the restaurant, but managed to meet some nice friendly Croatians and had good chat to them. They of course weren't from Split, they were from Zadar, the place I was at before Split. They were there watching a basketball game between Split and Zadar. The decider is on Saturday. The winner gets to go onto the final. Let's hope Zadar kicks their arse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.